[Healeys] Oil Change in differential

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Aug 1 09:24:42 MDT 2020

The shop manual recommends every 500 miles, but you have to remove the
engine first (/JK--sorta).

Good question, though. Modern cars--well, 'modern' since about 1980--can
supposedly go indefinitely without a diff fluid change (most have no
drain so it's somewhat inconvenient to do so anyway). I think, with
full-syn oil you could go 100K miles or more, even in a Healey. But, the
rear axle housing has a vent and, theoretically, water could get in and
if you try to ford the Mississippi you might want to check for
'milkshake' (really, I just wanted to see if I remembered how to spell
'Mississippi').  Realistically, a lot of us have rear hub seal/bearing
and other issues that require a drain anyway, and trying to re-use oil
is a pain so why not install fresh when this happens. If it's been a
long time--or never--since you've changed it why not do it for peace of
mind--and why check for crud or metal, and replace with a full-syn
oil?--then never worry about it again (unless, of course, ...)

Bob