[Healeys] Factory body/ frame primer

Perry healeyguy at aol.com
Wed Apr 29 10:24:29 MDT 2020

Electrostatic Painting. Wasn’t quite sure when it became a normal process but there was a bit on the net to explain it. My take on its use on Austin Healeys is that it wasn’t used.  If it had been used the amount and location of rust on our cars would not be same as what we experience.
Perry

Reference below:
The first U.S. patent for the electrostatic painting process was awarded to Harold Ransburg in the late 1940’s. Electrostatic spray painting was an immediate success as manufacturers quickly perceived the substantial materials savings that could be achieved. With the addition of manufacturing and research operations in Europe and Japan, Ransburg expanded on a global level over the next 20 years. The steady growth was complemented by an increasing reputation for innovative and effective technology.
Electrostatic coating is a manufacturing process that employs charged particles to more efficiently paint a workpiece. Paint, in the form of either powdered particles or atomized liquid, is initially projected towards a conductive workpiece using normal spraying methods, and is then accelerated toward the workpiece by a powerful electrostatic charge.
After the charging is finished, and the setup is done, the painting can take place. The paint with a positive charge is sprayed onto the metal object and grabs on easily to the metal’s surface. The attraction from the opposing charges is so strong that even if just one side of a metal pole is sprayed, the charge will automatically draw the paint around the metal, covering its entire surface.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10