[Healeys] Factory body/ frame primer

Randy Hicks healey100m at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 09:29:16 MDT 2020

Bob, from the Austin-Healey Concours Guidelines.

Randy

Chassis Paint and Finish

The chassis was painted at the time the body was, so with the exception of those BN1s
and BN2s with black engine compartments (and in some cases full undercarriage) the
chassis was the same as the main body color. There was no attempt made to dress off
imperfections in the welds or metal forming marks, and paint coverage was only sufficient to
make the color complete, and not to achieve any high degree of finish.

It has been observed on a number of original cars, from early BN1s to late BJ8s, that a
rough coating was applied to a few body panels prior to painting the chassis. Supplement
11 shows many examples of this and describes how and where it was applied. The coating
could have been an Undercoating Material or one used for sound deadening, and it is hard
to tell 40 years after the fact, but it definitely was applied over the sheet metal primer.