[Healeys] Oil Additives

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Apr 27 17:35:58 MDT 2020

I think this is the kind of failure ZDDP is supposed to help prevent.  I
doubt Mobil 1 has a lot of ZDDP in it; it was basically 'outlawed' in
all but 20W-50--since very few modern cars use that weight and even
fewer have flat tappets--and I don't think I've even seen M1 in that
weight.   It doesn't sound to me like you did anything wrong with your
driving habits; just a bit of bad luck maybe.  My last rebuild I got a
DW 'gun-drilled' cam, which I hope helps prevent lobe wear.

Decades ago, Mobile made a 'Mobile 1' for aircraft and it was an
unmitigated disaster; it didn't scavenge the lead in 100LL and the lead
gunked-up rings (esp. in 'big block' Continental engines).  I heard a
few unscrupulous aircraft owners got new engine rebuilds if they used
it, even if they didn't have a problem (a rebuild on a big Continental
can run $50K or more).  In the piston aircraft community, it was gospel
that you used multi-vis oil only in the winter, and straight
100W--equivalent to 50W motor oil--in the summer and because it
supposedly left a thicker film of oil on the moving parts (most piston
aircraft have hydraulic lifters).

Bob