[Healeys] Oil Additives

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Sun Apr 26 07:59:58 MDT 2020

I use 20/50 which I buy from the local farmer’s supply depot. (The strangely named “Mole Valley Farmers”). It comes in a BIG container; I forget how big as I decant it into smaller more manageable units. Big and heavy anyhow. Said container comes with a picture of a classic car on its label which hints at some kind of compatibility with our engines. To this I add the recommended dosage of the appropriately titled “ZDDP+”. I find this cheaper and easier. I got tired of going to so-called “Motor factors” and asking for oil. Some spotty ignoramus would lovingly produce a can with an old banger on the label and say “This is highly recommended by Lewis Hamilton, son of Alexander, and costs a zillion pounds”, or words to that effect.

Anyhow, touch wood, the old thing seems to manage on it OK.

I also use a spin-on filter the size of a small bucket and change the oil too often.

Simon