[Healeys] Today's Rant

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Apr 24 09:38:37 MDT 2020

Sadly, the USA doesn't 'make' much of anything anymore--maybe that will
change, maybe it won't--but we're getting 'metricfied' bit-by-bit.  I
bought a side mirror for a '55 Thunderbird; it didn't come with the
needed screws--one was sheet metal, one was machine threads--and the
original screws I had for the broken mirror didn't fit, nor did any of
the jillions of English-sized screws I have in small boxes and bags
scattered about (it would have been a 'size 12,' or eighth-inch or so if
it was English).  I had to order a 'screw set' for the mirror from the
supplier; the machine screw in the kit did indeed fit.  The mirror was
made in Taiwan, and I presume all Chinese/Taiwanese stuff uses metric
fasteners.

A lot of the T-Bird's parts I've ordered are poor quality, or don't fit
well, but I guess I should be thankful I can get them at all. Compared
to this, the Healey parts suppliers appear to be at least /trying/ to
supply parts that fit.

Bob