[Healeys] Drove the Healey today?!

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Tue Apr 21 23:10:00 MDT 2020

UH OH! that is your slugglish issue! I would drain that oil (for rear
ends) and replace it with the 30W ND. That rear end oil foams in the
annullus and plays hell with the spring pressure, passage thru the
system and fast clutch engagement. Check it out on the web...that
heavy fish oil is not for British Trannys. If you put the heavy stuff
in to stop leaks, that's not the answer; neither is synthetic-too
thin.The gearbox and OD were designed to run on conventional
oil...ancient as it may seem. Yes, a small air compressor is enough of
a blast to clear passages.You will probably hear the clutch pistons
engage if air is put on the valve opening. If you remove the spring,
ball, and plunger with a magnet, you can then extract the valve and
run a small wire down the middle to clean it-then a blast of air-be
careful to not get any lint from a shop rag into the mix. Upon
rebuilding a unit it is "suggested" to carefully enlarge the valve
hole to 1mm (but cleanliness is probably best solution). The new
pistons sold today, and made by Overdrive Spares, (old Laycock group)
are equipped with rubber o-rings. Good that you replaced the tire
bushings! Hank