[Healeys] Head Gasket

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Sun Apr 19 12:36:36 MDT 2020

Even if I figure out which way to put the head gasket on there still is a few more questions.  The service manual says to torque the head bolts from 65 - 70 ft lbs.  It does not mention anything about the rocker studs.  I'm guessing they are torqued to the same specs?  As far as coating the gasket I intend to use Wellseal.  And my head was also previously repaired between 2 and 3 by an old school welder.  The problem was to repair the crack needed a lot of meat ground away from the intake ports of 2 and 3 to do the welding on the inside of the head.  Of coarse the head would still work, but I just thought the air flow would be different between the inner and out intake ports.  I had the head pocket ported to even the flow out some.  Who knows, it may all be for nothing if it cracks again.  Then I'll spring for an aluminum head.  At least then I will have this gasket and torque thing pretty well sorted out.Mike MacLean

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 10:49 AM, Henry G Leach via Healeys<healeys at autox.team.net> wrote:   If there is any doubt as to the sealing capability of the three components, you can spray a light coating of "Copper-Cote" on both sides of the gasket before fitting it to the block. I think the proper torque of the bolts on clean studs, in the correct order, is the most important thing you can do to insure it does not leak. Cracking is another story-DO NOT LET IT OVER HEAT.
I had my head repaired by Midwest Heads and (knock on wood) its still working properly. It had the usual crack between 2-3 from overheating at some time in its life. Both the block and head were planed as well. Hank, healeyhelper.com