[Healeys] Seized steering box

Ron Fine ronfineesq at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 19 06:20:48 MDT 2020

Last summer I installed a new DW steering box in my BN7.  It was installed without any adjustments pursuant to the instructions.  I drove about 200 miles and the steering box worked as expected.

After about a 6 month pause I took my car out for a short drive yesterday and discovered that the steering wheel was very hard to turn.  I was only able to get around the block and back into my garage.

I jacked up the front, disconnected the tie rods and confirmed that the box has almost frozen up.  Very difficult to turn the steering wheel.

I adjusted out the peg so it would not be causing the problem but the bearing or something inside the box is seizing up.  The box is full of oil, no leaks.

I know what is inside the box since I spend some time 20 years ago rebuilding my original box and the only thing I can think of that would seize up are the two bearings, but, I can’t understand why that would happen to a new box while the car was resting in my garage for the past 6 months.

Any ideas as to what to check before I pull this box out again.

Thanks,

Ron