[Healeys] high oil consumption

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Tue Sep 17 08:16:16 MDT 2019

Our local AH club will be checking a BJ8 for high oil consumption this weekend. He says it is not leaking out. We will verify that when we inspect it. He added 8 quarts of oil on the round trip to Conclave recently (2100 miles total). The engine was professionally rebuilt in 2011. The engine builder has recently retired & moved to a Caribbean island so we cannot contact him, true story.In 2012 he used 6 quarts of oil on a 5000 mile trip. About 2-3 years ago I checked the compression, performed a leak down test & inspected the spark plugs. Every thing was in the normal range.My question is: If the engine passes all the usual tests this weekend, what are some of the unusual ways you have come across that could cause high oil consumption & how would we test for them?
Gary Hodson