[Healeys] Radiator shovel

Perry healeyguy at aol.com
Wed Oct 30 20:10:43 MDT 2019

Regarding this subject the term ‘shovel” is generally used to describe a “coal shovel” shaped scoop to intercept the air stream forcing air into something.

The two pieces on a 100, especially the flat bottom panel, are there to direct air coming through the grille to the radiator core and minimize the air from redirecting under the radiator/chassis.  The later cars use the two side splash panels that attempts to control the air flow to the radiator with out the lower flat panel used on the 100.

The shovel scoop as shown in Simons photo actually scoops the air from beneath the front of the car and forces it up towards the rad core. At speed this would potentially increase the air flow through the core.  Sounds good but in most cases the air flow and the cooling ability of the stock setup on our cars is adequate at speed.

This once again gets back to the fact that most of our cooling problems are while idling when the stock fans produce very little cubic feet of air flow. Increase the stock fans to 2000 RPM and the fan is now producing more CFM than most of the smaller (12 Inch diameter or so) electric fans on the market. I ran the numbers a year or two ago and do not remember the exact numbers as that sheet of paper has been lost in my sea of Healey info.  I may have posted that info to the list back then but that source also did not produce any results.

Hope everyone is having a fun day….we are about to get, in the next few days, the first dusting of snow for the season. That is if you trust the weather folks.
Perry