[Healeys] More on exhaust

Richard Collins gonnagitcha90 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 23 20:45:56 MDT 2019

My wife won’t ride in mine due to exhaust backwash.

Regards,
Richard Of Ky
BN7 440

On Oct 23, 2019, at 17:50, i erbs <eyera3000 at gmail.com> wrote:

Tailpipe extensions that point down help some

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
typos and artifacts are the fault of my phone

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019, 3:23 PM Stephen Hutchings <s.hutchings at rogers.com<mailto:s.hutchings at rogers.com>> wrote:
After that long thread on down pipes, I have an exhaust question for you.
I had sealed my down pipe/ manifold seams with gaskets made from Remflex (graphite based material)
and it worked very well. I pressurized my system and don’t appear to have any leaks.

My complaint is that I get exhaust blowing into the cockpit- when I’ve got the top down and I’m sitting in traffic- if I have the top up and the back window unzipped, especially with the door windows up.
As long as I’m moving when the top’s down I’m OK, and if I have the cockpit all closed up it’s fine as well.
Now I realize you’re bound to get some exhaust smell, depending on which way the wind is blowing, but I’m wondering if I should try to find some exhaust tips that point down, or maybe lengthen them a little.
I guess we’re all used to much cleaner tail pipe emissions, but I really find every stoplight an ordeal…I know, Healeys aren’t made for city traffic, but I’m usually on my way out of town!

Stephen, BJ8

Suggested annual donation  $12.75

Healeys at autox.team.net