[Healeys] Fwd: Down pipes

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Fri Oct 18 14:32:45 MDT 2019

The flex sections are necessary because the engine moves on its mounts in relation to the chassis. and that would stress and destroy a solid exhaust connection. The rubber exhaust hangers don't have enough flex to compensate for the movement and would similarly be stressed. If the flex sections were to freeze in place all of the stress caused by the engine rocking and vibration would be transferred to the exhaust flange joints and/or the rubber mounts.

Most modern cars compensate by allowing some freedom of motion in the exhaust hangers, although some still have some form of flexible joint in the system.

Bill Lawrence
BN1 #554