[Healeys] moss water pump

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Oct 7 08:30:21 MDT 2019

I believe the pumps now have 'County' cast into their bodies (but I'm
not sure).

My experience(s) with County pumps may have been the most egregious: One
failed immediately after install--and caused my fan to penetrate my
radiator--and the second was failed out-of-the box.  In both cases, the
shaft broke/was broken clean in two.  I'm not a metallurgist, but it
appeared to me the crystalline structure of the 'steel' didn't look
right.  My take now is if the pump works for a few hours, it will likely
last for a while, but County used a really cheap and sub-optimal type of
seal, and you likely won't get the usual 50-100K miles out of their pumps.

I was informed by a knowledgeable source--former head of Cust. Serv. at
Moss--that the original owner of County died suddenly, and whoever took
over didn't give a flying fig (my term, suitable for family audiences)
about quality.  All bets off, of course, if County has somehow upped
their game in the last few years.   When I had my BJ8 engine rebuilt,
all the 'usual suspects' only sold County pistons, so I sprung for DWM's*.

Get one of Michael's kits (or see if you can talk him into rebuilding
one for you ;).

Bob

* If I'd known SteveG had the correct build specs for oversized pistons
from a reputable supplier--Venolia IIRC--I would have gone that route.