[Healeys] Radiator Shovel, continued

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Fri Nov 1 22:34:12 MDT 2019

The problem is that the fan needs to be able to build a pressure head in order for the air to be forced through the radiator. As with any fluid flow the bulk of the fluid (air in this case) will go where the resistance is lower, which means anywhere except through the radiator core. Placing the fan against the core and sealing the edges in some way allows the fan to build enough head to force the bulk of the air through the core.

I modified the cross braces on my car by cutting them loose from the upper bracket (two were already broken loose), bending them slightly forward from their bases and welding a sheetmetal angle to the upper brace to which I then re-weld the upper ends of the cross braces. This gave me an extra inch or so of clearance to allow the fans to be mounted to the front of the radiator. I used foam weatherstrips to seal the outer edges of the fan shrouds to the radiator core. The fans mounted side by side are wider than the radiator core so I fabricated blanking plates from alloy sheet and mounted them to the overlapping fan shrouds outboard of the core so that the fans can only blow through and not around the core.

I thought that I had taken some pictures during the process, but I haven't been able to find them. I'm going to have to remove the grille to get any kind of pictures, but I'll try to do that tomorrow.

Bill Lawrence
BN1 #554