[Healeys] Ignition Circuit

Patrick & Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Sat May 25 01:17:04 MDT 2019

Hello

Seeking advice from those who understand automotive electrics.

My real Healey has an electric fan in front of the radiator that was
controlled by a thermo switch. Worked reasonably well, but drew quite a bit
of power but nothing concerning. When on, the amp gauge needle would always
hover in the negative.

Personally I don't like thermo switches, so the fan has now been wired
direct and operated by a discreet switch under the dash. Power is taken
directly from the outgoing side of the ignition switch so that the fan only
comes on when the ignition is on along with the specific switch.

Works well, but now when the fan goes on the ignition light is illuminated
and will not go out.

Does that mean that the ignition circuit doesn't like what I have done? I am
thinking of taking the power direct from the incoming side of the ignition
switch so that the fan is powered direct from the battery. Would that work?

Any electrical whizzes out there?

Thanks

Patrick Quinn

Blue Mountains, Australia