[Healeys] Diff Numbers

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Wed May 22 04:33:25 MDT 2019

Having seen a similar number on a BN1 rear axle recently, I would say it is the serial number of the rear axle.  The stamping is a bit messed up, but it appears the axle housing was manufactured before the BN2s came out, and so was intended for a BN1 (I read it as BN1 4638).  BJ8 rear axles (some of them) have a serial number on the axle housing that looks much like your photo, except the serial number is not preceded by "BJ8".  The number to the right (10/41) is the rear axle gear ratio:  10 pinion teeth to 41 crown wheel teeth gives ratio (usually taken as 41/10) of 4.10

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large