[Healeys] Simple camber adjustment fix?

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Mon May 13 12:11:38 MDT 2019

To refresh your memory, Michael, here's the rest of the story:

We both missed a rally clue and realized at the same moment that we had.  I made a quick turn to a short turn-off to go back and see what we missed, and that huge pothole was there before either of us could see it and stop.  After our teeth quit vibrating, we continued on the rally and soon came upon a couple of ladies parked in the middle of the road with the bonnet up.  After we stopped to see what we could do for them, we decided we might as well quit the rally at that point and returned to the hotel.

It was only during the slow parade through Gatlinburg that night that I felt something knock against the steering column whenever I went over a manhole.  Next morning, I discovered the shock absorber was only attached at the inboard side and rocking back to hit the column with movement of the suspension.  Amazing that it didn't break off.  The shock attach bolts were lock wired to each other, so the shock pulled the whole top of the plate off on three sides.

Busted flat in Gatlinburg....how to get it fixed on a Sunday morning was the puzzle.  The great Healey minds got together in the parking garage and Bill Walton volunteered to trailer my car back to Charlotte for repair if I would drive his BT7.  It poured rain all the way, and Bill didn't have the side curtains installed....

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large