[Healeys] Distributor, PerTronix.

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed May 1 17:54:49 MDT 2019

I can't imagine why one would go bad in the boot; I hope the spare I
carry hasn't gone bad :( (Question: how do you know it's dead?).   It's
just a Hall Effect sensor and a power transistor AFAIK.  I'll take a
SWAG, but I haven't tried this myself:

The original Ignitor was essentially electronic points; i.e. a switch.
IIRC, the module has two leads going to it; Pertronix has simple
schematics on their site.  One of the leads is power-- (-) for a pos.
gnd. version--and the other is the lead to the coil primary.  If you put
the distributor in a vice, grounded the distributor case to a power
source, wired a light bulb or voltmeter to the Ignitor output lead and
grounded it to the power source, applied power to the power lead and
rotated the distributor the light (or voltmeter) would register current
flowing or not as you rotate

Make sure you have some sort of load--bulb or voltmeter--on the Ignitor
output at all times; else you have a dead short which could damage the
Ignitor.  I think Pertronix specifies a minimun load of an ohm or two
for Ignitor ones.

Bob