[Healeys] BJ8 Voltage regulator

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Jun 30 20:02:32 MDT 2019

I had a VR fail on a long road trip--it started overcharging and I got
an acid leak in the boot.  I don't recall for sure, but I think it was a
re-pop.  When I had a starter rebuilt by Star Auto Electric Mike, the
owner, strongly recommended the one he sells, and I sprung for it.  It's
worked for 10-15K miles.  I'm not sure, but it might be this one:

http://starautoelectric.com/product/ncb-133/

OTOH, there are cheaper alternatives:

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/voltage-regulator-rb340-33-amp.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-czdmMuS4wIVkfhkCh1GkQVWEAQYAiABEgIwivD_BwE

The BPN people are pretty knowledgeable, I'd call both Star and them and
see what you think (and Moss, and Vicky Brit, and Tom's Imports, etc.).
If you have an original cover, it will transplant to a new re-pop.  The
OEM VRs are overbuilt, but the re-pops all look flimsy inside compared
to them; e.g. the 'dials' used for adjustment are thin sheet metal
compared to OEM (if anyone really cares I can get photos).

Side Note: Star does excellent work--I was having starter issues on my
BN2 that Star had rebuilt, and I took it to a local shop and he said the
rebuild was excellent--but I paid for paint and it arrived in primer.
When I let him know he went 'radio silent' on me.  The starting issue
was caused by too much paint causing a bad ground.

Bob

ps.  I've got a drawer full of VRs, if anyone knows a really good
rebuilder I'd send a couple in for spares.