[Healeys] Carburettor help

Michel Murphy michel.murphy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 17:32:41 MDT 2019

Hi everyone,

I am at the point where I'm trying to tune my carburetters for my BJ7.  The
engine was rebuilt along with the carbs. I set up the carbs as per the SU
workshop manual to pre-tuning setting: throttle screw backed off, turned
jet adjusting nut/screw down two turns and turn the fast-idle adjusting
screw until they are well clear of the cam.

The car starts well enough without choke engaged, but the engine idles at
2000 RPM even after left running for 5-10 minutes. The rear carb doesn't
seem to have any suction unlike the front carb (I put my hand in front of
the carb for this test). Any ideas why the rear carb does not have any
noticeable suction? I suspect the high idle is due to rear carb not
functioning properly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mike