[Healeys] silicone brake fluid

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Jun 16 09:34:15 MDT 2019

I've used silicone BF in my BJ8 for close to 30 years (and when I
replaced the brake MC, 15-20 years and 80-100K miles ago, I disregarded
the same warning).  As somebody mentioned, your problem is symptomatic
of the 'check valve'--aka 'foot valve--malfunctioning or damaged.  I had
similar problem with my brakes on a long road trip; had to pump the
pedal a couple times on every application (for a couple thousand miles).

We put the highly-touted Castrol BF in our 100M after a thorough
restoration--with all-new brake system--and the fluid jelled when that
car sat for a couple years.

Side note: Most BFs are calling themselves 'synthetic' these days.  Are
they a new formulation, or just jumping on the bandwagon as, AFAIK, BF
has always been synthetic (the glycols used don't occur in nature)?

Bob