[Healeys] silicone brake fluid

Brian Drab bgdrab at redzone.ca
Sat Jun 15 09:14:34 MDT 2019

Last week I completed a driving tour in our BJ8. It was a great tour and everything ran well except for one thing.  4 or 5 times, when I used the clutch, the clutch master cylinder bypassed. The rest of the time it worked well. As I don't want to be caught without a clutch at a later date I am changing the clutch master cylinder. I have received a replacement and am preparing to install it.
On the box is a quick summary of the bleeding procedure under a warning - "Using Silicon Brake fluid will void warranty". I have used silicon fluid for well over 10 tears and never experienced any problems with it and have never seen or heard of this type of warning before. I have never heard of any destructive qualities of Silicon fluid.
My question is - does anyone have any idea what it is about.
For me to change to Dot4 fluid is quite a big deal as I would be changing out the clutch as well as the brake system seeing as they share a common reservoir.
I'd appreciate any comments on the warning.
Brian Drab
BJ8