[Healeys] Towing a Healey flat

Robert Begani rfbegani at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 15:19:44 MDT 2019

I am considering towing my BJ8 with a tow bar attached to the front of the
frame.  The problem I find is that on most sites I have searched,  listeners
say you have to disconnect the propeller/driveshaft because the transmission
will not be lubricating the gears.  As our Healey's are not automatic
transmissions I do not see the why not.  Another group of comment is that
the manual trans gears would not be lubricated. Although I am not expert in
the transmission it seems to me that with all the oil we put in the Healey
trans all the gears must be at least half immersed and well lubricated.

I have spoken to several Healey drivers at Conclave and shows over the past
few years who have towed their Healey flat to the show and all have said
"works great without any problems with the trans connected".  My own
experience was with my girlfriends soon to become wife in 1968 to get her
TR3 to Phoenix. I got a driveaway deal (remember those?) from Budget Chicago
to take a car to Phoenix. I rented a bumper hitch from Uhaul with clamps to
the bumper of her 1962 TR3.  Remember big bumpers on American Cars! I drove
it via US 66 all the way to Phoenix through a rain and sleet storm in
November.  It followed me very nicely.  We drove it for 2 years around AZ
until I finished my MBA and never had a transmission problem.

Oh yes, back in the day, we were told that British Cars were designed to
have a person in the drivers seat so if you tow one you should put a weight
in the drivers seat otherwise the car will want to lean or list to
starboard. Never understood that comment.  Nevertheless, I put a duffel bag
of clothes just in case.  Again, it followed me very nicely.

So I want to use my 3.8 V6 Chrysler Pacifica 2005 SUV which can handle 3500
lbs up to 5000 lbs. if you are pulling flat with very little load on the
tongue. So it can handle the load. I have pictures of a tow bar made for the
BJ8 which bolts to the front of the frame my friend can fabricate.   I seek
comments from the list.

Who has experience with Towing Flat?

Regards,

Bob Begani