[Healeys] Brake Handle Done!

rrengineer.mike rrengineer.mike at att.net
Tue Jul 30 15:27:46 MDT 2019

OK, finally got the emergency brake handle back from the machine shop.  They milled the two welds that held shaft to the brake lever and re-welded it 90 degrees to reposition the key.  Now the cable arm is oriented towards the rear of the car like it should, so when you pull the handle up it pulls the cable to actuate the brakes.       To sum it up, when converting a left side of the hump handle (like in a Bugeye) to a right side of the hump type, you have to get the correct ratchet plate, then bend the pushrod wire 90 degrees to the opposite side of the lever when viewing from the back.  Flip the pawl over so it works correctly with the new ratchet plate, then get a machine shop to remove the shaft from the lever that passes through the ratchet plate and re-weld it after turning it 90 degrees counter-clockwise. Then Bob's your uncle.  See the before and after pictures.  I only went through this exercise because the lever had already been re-chromed.  On to the next project that will be more expensive and involved than it looks.  This car is going to take longer than I thought.Mike MacLeanSent from my Samsung Galaxy , an AT&T LTE smartphone