[Healeys] Brake issue

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 10:28:45 MDT 2019

I got serious with the car this morning and after loosening the locking nut
I shortened the rod's effective length by about 1/2", then locked
everything down and went out for another test drive.  I drove about 15-20
miles using the brakes from normally to hard, including several
just-short-of-emergency stops from about 60 mph to 0.  Despite all this,
and with the engine at 180-190 on another pretty hot day the brake pedal is
staying where it should and everything seems fine.

There is now about 3/4"-1" of free travel after which the brakes gradually
engage and the pedal is about where it was before I first adjusted things a
few months back.  Why my shortening of the pedal's travel did not present a
problem at the time I did it is a bit baffling and I can only think that
lower ambient temperatures must have played a role.  In any case things
seem back to normal, though I do plan to replace the heat-shield that i
removed when I first fiddled with things.

Thanks everyone for their patience and suggestions.

Best--Michael Oritt