[Healeys] End Float

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Jul 29 08:40:15 MDT 2019

I think Michael is probably correct; bearings usually make a grinding
noise when they're worn or broken.

The shop manual has an elaborate process for setting end float on the
hub involving a dial micrometer and math.  I've had success with
starting with too few shims--the wheel won't turn at all when the big
nut is tightened--and stacking them until the wheel turns freely, and
you can just feel the tiniest of float when you tug on the wheel.  You
need a few 0.001" shims; the overall stack is usually in the
neighborhood of 0.030"-0.035".  Do it with just some light oil on the
bearings at first, then when you've got the stack right load them with
wheel bearing grease (just on the bearings; don't stuff the whole hub).

Also, torque the snot out of the big nut, and position the hole in the
end of the axle and the castellated nut such that the cotter pin
prevents the nut from loosening even a smidge.  I've had the flat washer
with a tang on the I.D. spin, making the aforementioned grinding noise
until it wedged itself against the bearing.

Bob