[Healeys] Brake issue

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 11:18:15 MDT 2019

As I recall Roger found that after using silicone brake fluid there was a
certain degree of swelling of the master cylinder seals, including the so
called  "recuperating seat". As a consequence of this the "recuperating"
passage to reservoir was not opening up when the piston was fully extended.
Going from memory Roger found that it was necessary to machine the master
cylinder body to provide more space for the recuperating seat and shim
washer.

The article was published in at least one of the national club mags.

I would think that the uncertainty of materials used in current seal sets
and brake fluids could very easily cause any seal to swell with similar
consequences.