[Healeys] Anti-Sway Bar

rrengineer.mike rrengineer.mike at att.net
Wed Jul 24 10:56:17 MDT 2019

Gee, I'm glad I brought this up.  I'm going to stick with the 1/2" bar as my car is destined for the road, not the track.  It's  a continuation of a philosophy that my late restorer friend was always on about.  My LeMans conversion of my BN2 is more sizzle than steak.  Sure I am installing all the visual cues like H6 carbs with LeMans intake and a louvered bonnet with leather strap, but that's about it.  I am even using used valve springs because I was told it would tick over at idle from first startup.  Besides, never being on the track, high rpm will not be a factor.  Not even close to valve float.  Yes, I am converting to disc brakes in the front, but that's a no brainer for safe driving street or track.  When I asked my friend about going with a Toyota transmission conversion, he said, "don't you want the Austin Healey experience"?  So, pretty much a stock BN2.  I think it will perform on the street just great.  Wasn't it state of the art back in 53?  Good enough for a Sunday drive now and then.Mike MacLeanSent from my Samsung Galaxy , an AT&T LTE smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Charles Schott <schottc at knology.net> Date: 7/24/19  6:14 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: Perry <healeyguy at aol.com> Cc: healeys at autox.team.net Subject: Re: [Healeys] Anti-Sway Bar Perry,Thanks for the info. If I don't like it I can always go to a smaller size. Does anyone know what size is optimal for a road car?Regards,CharlieFrom: "Perry" <healeyguy at aol.com>To: "Charles Schott" <schottc at knology.net>Cc: healeys at autox.team.netSent: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 7:07:47 AMSubject: RE: [Healeys] Anti-Sway Bar<!--

@font-face
	{font-family:Helvetica;
	panose-1:2 11 5 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}

	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
-->CharlieMy experience with a larger roll bar is that the car tends to get crazy over bumps, pavement expansion joints and the like. I have a 7/8 bar on the shelf (memento of things gone awry previously) and I could not use it even on my V8 car. Perry Sent from Mail for Windows 10 From: Charles SchottSent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 6:47 PMTo: Mike MacLeanCc: Perry; healeys at autox.team.netSubject: Re: [Healeys] Anti-Sway Bar Mike, The original bar on my 100 was also 1/2" but I'm installing a 7/8" one. AH Spares has them at 5/8", 3/4" and 7/8". And they have polyurethane bushings. Regards, Charlie Schott From: "Mike MacLean" <rrengineer.mike at att.net>To: "Perry" <healeyguy at aol.com>Cc: healeys at autox.team.netSent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 12:37:55 PMSubject: Re: [Healeys] Anti-Sway Bar It seems my anti-sway bar is the original 1/2" bar.   My curiosity was rooted in the fact I used to own an original sway bar for my Bugeye.  That was 1/2" diameter also.  I recently rebuilt the front suspension on the Bugeye which included new lower a-arms of the later type for later Spridgets.  The new lower a-arms came with the reinforced holes for mounting a sway bar.  The new bar on the Bugeye is 5/8".  It doesn't seem right the smaller car has a bigger sway bar.Mike MacLean On Jul 23, 2019 6:48 AM, Perry <healeyguy at aol.com> wrote:MikeSorry, my BN2 measures 5/8 inch but I also measured the 10 other sway bars upstairs in the garage and 4 were ½ inch and the rest 5/8 inch.  Suspect I put a 6 cylinder bar on it 17 years ago during the last resto. Have had that car for 54 years.P  Sent from Mail for Windows 10 From: Michael MacLeanSent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 12:44 AMTo: HealeysSubject: [Healeys] Anti-Sway Bar What is the diameter of a 100 anti-sway bar?  I just tried to put urethane bushings on the one I have with my BN2 (the two center ones held on with a metal strap) and the hole in the bushing was way too big.  What good is that?  I switched to a rubber set I have and they fit better, but still a little loose.  Mike MacLean  _______________________________________________Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.htmlSuggested annual donation  $12.75 Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive Healeys@autox.team.nethttp://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/schottc@knology.net