[Healeys] Spline grease

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Jul 19 09:07:45 MDT 2019

I've used various, including anti-seize, but have used wheel bearing
grease for the last 20years/80K miles or so with no issues.

I'm presuming there is some tiny movement between the splines no matter
how well fitted; anti-seize is formulated to prevent, well, seizing
(i.e. parts rusting together).  Wheel bearing grease is formulated for
heat and extreme pressures and to stay where its applied.  I've not used
Cu anti-seize, but have seen the Al and Ni formulations dry out, leaving
the finely-ground metal so rusting is prevented, but any lubricating
qualities are largely gone.  I use anti-seize on spark plugs, and when
you pull them out and look at the threads there is no lubricant
remaining, only the metal.

*Flame suit on*

Bob

ps.  Ditto on the clear RTV to keep the hub and spokes clean(er).