[Healeys] Brake fluid...again

Stephen Hutchings s.hutchings at rogers.com
Tue Jul 16 10:27:24 MDT 2019

I have used Dot 5 silicone brake fluid for many years and have never had any problems with it.
Nor have I found any corrosion while rebuilding the components- I’ve decided that it’s the perfect solution for a car that sits for months during the winter, and it won’t remove my paint.
I’ve read about “compressibility”, but I think that’s just the effect of not completely removing all the air from the system, which can be time consuming.

Now for the BUT…for the first time, I’ve read something about silicone fluid that’s given me pause.
If you have a servo and it develops a leak, you definitely don’t want your engine sucking this stuff through the manifold. I’m not a chemist, but apparently what is left behind when Dot 5 is burned can be abrasive and damaging to engine components. I’m sure there are some of you who will understand the molecular structure of the silicone fluid, and be able to explain this properly…but this has got me thinking.
I have a PBR replacement servo which has been very reliable, but I’m thinking about looking for a rebuild kit soon.

Stephen, BJ8