[Healeys] Dealers VS private sale-non-Healey

Stephen Hutchings s.hutchings at rogers.com
Wed Jul 10 07:48:00 MDT 2019

Hi listers,

Just thought I’d see if you had noticed the same phenomenon that I have.
In the old days, most people buying a second hand car would rather purchase from an individual because we didn’t trust the dealers. That sentiment seems to have flipped around so that the general public are very suspicious of private sellers and would rather go with a dealer who may offer some kind of limited guarantee.
My Dad has had to give up his licence and has asked me to help him sell his car- a 2018 Toyota Yaris with 5,000 Klms….pretty damn low mileage, huh? Well, so far I’ve only received nuisance calls, absolutely no serious enquiries, and compared to most ads for a similar car, it’s priced a little under the trend.
The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago when I went to sell a Ford Transit Connect privately…no joy, I still have the van- my wife wanted to keep it anyway.

It seems that, classic cars excepted, the private sale is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

Stephen, BJ8

PS- seeing as how I’ve owned my Healey since 1975, I doubt I’ll ever be offering it up for sale.