[Healeys] Alternator Is “Hummingybe

Kees Oudesluijs coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sat Jul 6 08:22:18 MDT 2019

Do this only with the ammeter in the highest capacity/Amp setting, than
gradually go to the lowest capacity/mA setting. If you do not get any
reading you are OK, if there is a reading on the mA scale there is a
slight current/draw.

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 6-7-2019 om 15:33 schreef R. Lindsay:
> Thanks Michael.  I’ll give it a try.
>
> Price Lindsay
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Jul 5, 2019, at 9:37 PM, Michael Salter <michaelsalter at gmail.com
> <mailto:michaelsalter at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> One little trick for tracing parasitic losses it to attach the
>> ammeter to both sides of a connection BEFORE breaking the connection.
>> In this way a draw that "switches off" when the connection is broken
>> will be seen.
>> This happens with self energizing relays in particular.
>> Not sure if such a test would help in this instance but may be worth
>> a try.
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 5, 2019, 9:11 PM jim via Healeys, <healeys at autox.team.net
>> <mailto:healeys at autox.team.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     Maybe a picture  will help ...The only path for current to flow
>>     is through the 'Rotor' winding via the regulator...
>>
>>     Jim
>>
>>     On Friday, July 5, 2019, 10:04:29 PM UTC, R. Lindsay
>>     <050.rpl at gmail.com <mailto:050.rpl at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     I have been trying to find the source of a parasitic draw of
>>     power from my battery for the past several weeks.  FWIW, I have
>>     lost 0.75 volts on the charge over the last 4 days.  This seems
>>     like a lot.
>>
>>     When I remove the cable from the negative terminal of the battery
>>     (its a negative ground car) connect one end of my ammeter onto
>>     the negative terminal on the battery and the other end to the
>>     cable removed from the battery, the ammeter (set to read current
>>     of less than 10A) does not register a draw.  However, when I use
>>     a 12 volt light and connect it to the same points`, the light
>>     goes on ever so slightly.
>>
>>     Today I noticed a very faint humming from the alternator and it
>>     was a little warmer to the touch than the other parts of the
>>     engine. When I disconnect the alternator from the solenoid, the
>>     humming went away and when I tested it with the light the light
>>     did not light up - no draw.  I can’t see anywhere else the draw
>>     could be coming from.  I’ve pulled all the fuses one by one to
>>     see if there is power being drawn from each circuit - with the
>>     alternator hooked up, there is no draw registered.
>>
>>     This is the second new alternator I’ve had on the car in the last
>>     60 days.  I had the issue before I exchanged the old alternator
>>     and the problem continued when I installed it. Could it be
>>     another bad alternator??  Are alternators exceptionally sensitive
>>     or just not made very well these days?
>>
>>     Thank you for any light that can be shed on this.
>>
>>     Price Lindsay
>>     67 BJ8
>>
>>     Sent from my iPad
>>
>>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
>>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ab7vf@yahoo.com

>>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
>>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

---
Deze e-mail is gecontroleerd op virussen door AVG.
http://www.avg.com