[Healeys] Galvanic Reaction

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Wed Feb 27 04:45:55 MST 2019

I used an anti-corrosion primer (called Corroless then, in 1989, and something similar offered by Eastwood now as Rust Encapsulator).  When I removed the left rear fender a couple years ago, the flanges were fine with the primer still in good shape -- even though I have put many miles on the car since 1989.

I believe most of the severe damage that people have seen on the flanges occurred back when the cars were just daily drivers, saw a lot of mud and salt packed into the fenders, and sat outside in all kinds of weather.  Most of the cars are not treated to that environment anymore, so galvanic corrosion of the flanges is not so much of a problem.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large