[Healeys] oil use

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Wed Feb 20 07:42:28 MST 2019

First, Lets assume that your engine is equipped with the original style crankcase breather system. I.E. no customizations such as PCV valves, etc., etc. Make sure your valve cover oil filler cap is vented as original. Check to confirm your valve cover has a "baffle" inside under the fitting for the "T" breather tube as original. Check the gap between the baffle & the end of the "T" which is threaded into the fitting. The "T" should not be threated as far in as it will go. The vacuum in the tube will pick up the oil on the baffle if it is too close.  If it is, back it out to increase the gap between the baffle & the end of the "T". It only needs to be threaded in a few threads (3). Then tighten the retaining nut. If the rubber tube from the "T" to the air cleaner is too short any oil in the tube will run down to the air cleaner. Replace this tube with one that is a few inches longer. Install the new rubber tube so that when it leaves the "T" it Curves/rises slightly up before it has to turn down to the air cleaner. Only oil the is entrained in the vapor will get to the air cleaner. Oil on the wall of the tube will drain back into the valve cover. Gary Hodson