[Healeys] Shock Tower

Michael Salter michael.salter at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 15:23:58 MST 2019

Hi Gerry,
The problem that you have encountered is not too uncommon, or at least used
to be.
We developed a repair scheme that we used quite frequently to resolve this.
The process involved cutting the outer end off the "box" that the the shock
mounts on and then using a punch of some sort to break all the "weld nuts"
from the upper surface of the "box".
We then cut a piece of 1/2" (I think that is the correct thickness) thick
hot rolled steel plate to size such that it would snugly slide completely
inside the "box".
Using the existing holes in the upper surface of the "box" as a template
the 4 holes for the shock bolts and 2 holes for the rebound rubber were
marked out. The plate was then removed (sometimes it was necessary to drill
a hole in the inner end of the "box" and use a parallel punch to drive the
plate out) and drilled and tapped for the appropriate threads before being
reinserted and welded at the outer end to secure it in position.
A little time consuming but the end result was a very strong, almost
undetectable  permanent repair.

Michael S