[Healeys] Oil Pumps

Larry Varley varley at cosmos.net.au
Tue Dec 31 22:03:23 MST 2019

As a matter of interest the rotary oil pump is from the Austin A70 2.2
litre engine, same rotor. Then when the 2.6 litre engine was produced
for the Healey 100 Austin changed the pumps to the gear type. Probably
because the gear type pumps less oil and they knew the cars would be
revved harder. In an A70 and 100 engine the rotary pump will produce up
to 80 PSI oil pressure and around 3000 engine revs, where the gear pump
will produce about 60 PSI with the same bypass spring. This shows the
rotary pump has a far greater output. Austin may have changed the pump
running speed when they fitted the rotary pump to the six cylinder cars,
I don't know. Austin A70's have no problem with 80 PSI oil pressure, but
then we all know the 6 cylinder engine was an inferior design   :))
Cheers
Larry Varley