[Healeys] Oil Pumps

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Dec 30 20:58:19 MST 2019

[If this is a double-post please disregard, my mail server is acting weird]

Well, this is distressing.  Using the Torrington thrust bearing would
spare the thrust plate, but you'd still get the wear on the gears and
stretched timing chain, no?  Given this, and the alleged problems with
their 'constant clearance worm' steering box I'm beginning to wonder
what's up with DWM/R.  They race, they have fancy new CNC machines and
appear to be profitable; why would they be offering (possibly) defective
parts (and advice)?

My dad and I rebuilt my BJ8's engine at about 80K miles; I bought most
of the parts from Sports&Classics in CT--they still around?--and I
bought whatever pump they were selling.  I always assumed since it was
for a BJ8 it was the gear type, but when I rebuilt the engine again a
couple years ago I disassembled the pump; it was the vane type!  I had
some wear on the pump driveshaft, but it held up for 120K miles, and
I'll likely not put more than a few thousand on the new engine/pump in
my remaining years.  I'm also re-thinking my use of 20W-50 oil (but I
have 3 dozen qts. so ...).

I know of a problem with aircraft engine oil pumps with 'sintered'
gears; I believe this is a method of producing the gears by basically
melting iron powder in a mold, anybody know if the gear-type Healey
pumps use sintered gears?