[Healeys] Oil Pressure and replacing the oil pump

Robert Begani rfbegani at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 22:55:04 MST 2019

When I rebuilt the engine last year I did not replace the oil pump because I
had good oil pressure.  Currently, from time to time, while breaking in the
engine I am driving the car round trip 20-30 miles down the Tamiami Trail
which is an open road for that stretch..  On a recent trip, the weather was
cool, so the oil pressure was running 35 to 40 psi while the engine
temperature was going up to 180 at 3000 rpm.  At 4000 rpm the temperature
climbed over 180 degrees and the oil pressure dropped below 30 psi. .  I am
considering replacing the oil pump and remember that there is a discussion
about the quality of Moss pumps.  Maybe I should buy the rebuild kit and
change gears?

Oh by the way, on the last run all hell broke loose and had the car towed
home.  Seems the mushroom on top of one of the push rods broke.  So I am
replacing all 12 of them.

Regards,

Bob Begani