[Healeys] Valve Clearances for an M

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Thu Aug 22 22:56:07 MDT 2019

A high lift cam means that the valves come off the seat earlier and land back on the seat later than standard. That limits the valve's dwell time on the seat, which is critical to heat transfer from the valve to the seat. Greater clearance is the compromise to extend valve life. Isky specifies 0.018" for my cam. If you know the source of the cam I would go back to them for the spec.

I have the OA6, OA7, and OA8 needles and have tried them all. I found that, at least at this altitude (5,000-6,000 feet), the standard OA7s give the best results.

Bill Lawrence
BN1 #554