[Healeys] [OT] Goblin Works

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Thu Aug 15 02:20:11 MDT 2019

 I still miss Speed Channel with the lawn mower races.Mike MacLean

    On Wednesday, August 14, 2019, 8:20:43 PM PDT, Bob Spidell <bspidell at comcast.net> wrote:

 Tonight I caught the season premier of 'Goblin Works' on Motortrend
Channel.  If you haven't seen it, this is an English version of the
ubiquitous American show about car modders.  In contrast to the American
shows, which feature an endless stream of muscle cars and trucks being
slammed, chopped, airbagged, fitted with monstrous and hideous chrome
wheels,  rubber-band tires, LS engines and garish paint jobs*, this show
features some British cars and an occasional American or other 'foreign'
car (and eschews the constant silly games and grab-assing common on the
American shows).  Anyway, tonight they thoroughly and, I think
tastefully, modded a 1275 Austin Mini.  They pulled the stock engine for
a core for a 'built' engine and I'm thinking: "Here we go, EFI or at
least a couple Webers" but, no, the built engine came with what appeared
to be a pair of SU carbs!  They were pretty large, not quite HD8-size,
and had longer 'necks' on the vacuum/piston chambers; anyone know what
kind/size SUs these might have been?  I've seen photos of similar carbs
on other Brit cars.  Oh, yeah, the Mini engine dyno'd at 115 BHP--stock
was around 50--so who says SUs don't make power (I'm still pissed at Ant
Anstead for calling them 'garbage')?

* I watch these shows for the 5 minutes of interesting and informative
fabrication, welding and engine building in 55 minutes of grabassery,
silly games and outright corniness.

Bob
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

Healeys at autox.team.net