[Healeys] BN1 mufflers - steel or stainless

Kees Oudesluijs coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sun Aug 4 02:07:14 MDT 2019

Stainless steel is the way to go.

Sound is created by the manufacturer, not the material any more. Most
after market systems are designed to produce a louder and "deeper" sound
than original, not for BHP´s. The pattern is usually more or less
original, however in the US many systems are cobbled together on
European cars, at least that is what we see in Europe when these cars
are being reimported from the USA.

As the cars are not driven regularly, corrosion is an issue thus mild
steel exhaust may not last very long especially the rear silencer as
acid condensed water rots it out from the inside, especially when they
are straight through filled with glass wool.

Stainless steel silencers are usually straight through and filled with
glass wool. In time this glass wool gets sooted up or is blown out of
the box leaving you with a very loud car. This would be the same in a
mild steel system, however the silencer would have rotted away long
before it gets that far.

Kees Oudesluijs