[Healeys] Timing mark

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Wed Apr 24 06:21:54 MDT 2019

I bought a ProRace Harmonic Balancer a few months back and installed it
whilst attending to some other engine chores
.new oil pump, engine mounts,
reverting to SUs from Webers etc.

Soooo
.I was given sensible advice to mark the 15° line on the balancer as
the markings are virtually invisible once the thing’s installed, let alone
spinning at +/- 1,000rpm.

Now for the confession. The car’s not been running brilliantly
.some
hesitation, particularly under load, from +/- 4,000 rpm. Leaving out fuel
issues for the sake of this discussion, I was thinking about the timing
again. And I know that it’s been showing 15° BTDC with my brand new timing
light. But I was still not sure so I looked at the photo of my painted
timing mark. It shows that I managed to put the paint on the 16 mark. Now,
1° isn’t a lot but I can foresee the potential of making it worse when I
take up the lamp again.

My question is this. What do I dial into the timing light to account for the
mark being 1° out? (If I go the wrong way, I’ll be 2° out).

Thanks,

Simon