[Healeys] Radiator flush

Len and/or Marge Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 3 22:17:35 MDT 2019

Ira:  If I recall my experience with the heater valves in the block and radiator correctly,  I did this;

Remove the valve;  remove the cotter pin;  remove the small spring if it is still there.  A replacement may be needed if the old one is not functional.  Tap on the end of the valve that had the spring and cotter pin and it should pop apart.  The valve is conical in shape so constant tension is needed to keep it seated.  I applied toothpaste to the valve cone, put the two parts together, chucked the spring end in my drill, and seated the the two mating parts of the valve.  You can tell when you are done when both surfaces are bright and shiny with no corrosion.  This would be the reverse of seating in the engine valves.  You are pulling the two surfaces together instead of pushing.  Other abrasive products could be used but the finer the better.  New spring and cotter pin if needed and your valve is as good as new.

My valve handle was also broken.  I do not remember if it was originally screwed in.  I ended up tapping a piece of rod in the hole with a tight / press fit.  It's steel but it won't break and I'm not going for concours.

(The Other) Len
Fairfield, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031