[Healeys] Pro Race Harmonic Balancer

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Wed Oct 31 14:14:27 MDT 2018

I just put a Pro-Race damper on my BJ8 today.  The shipping weight from Moss
Motors was 10 pounds.  It appears to be about the same weight as the
original damper.

Installing it with the engine in the car makes for some close quarters.  The
X-brace behind the grille prevents swinging a hammer with much force.
Without an installation tool, you have to pound it onto the shaft after
heating it up to 250 degrees F for 15 minutes (I made it 20 minutes just to
be sure).  An installation tool won't work because the nose of the
crankshaft does not have an internal thread to screw the installer into.

The typical crankshaft nut locking washer can't be used because it isn't
possible to bend it over to lock the nut due to lack of access.  It fits
tightly into the recess of the damper (I had to file the outer diameter of
my new Moss washer to make it fit).   Use Lok-Tite instead.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large