[Healeys] oil pump

Michael Salter michael.salter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 09:54:44 MDT 2018

I have a book "Repco Engine Service Manual" produced by Repco of
Repco-Brabham fame that I use as my bible for engine building.
On the subject of oil pressure it states that delivery pressure itself is
not that important and is really just an indicator that oil is being
delivered to the bearings.
Of much greater importance is "thin film pressure" which is generated by
the engine forces on a bearing which can be as high as 8000 p.s.i. at high
RPM and is determined by the oil type and temperature, and the engine
design.
Based upon this I believe that concentrating on having good oil pressure at
idle is wasted effort. What is important is that the engine has some
pressure at idle but good pressure in the normal operating range.
A pump which puts out a huge volume uses excessive horsepower and can
result in accelerated wear of the pump drive.