[Healeys] Fuel pumps (AGAIN!)

Larry Varley varley at cosmos.net.au
Thu Nov 29 14:14:31 MST 2018

Hi Mike. Naturally you have an SU pump test rig J image attached. All I can tell you for certain is that reducing the pressure makes a considerable difference. Both cars need to run on choke for longer after cold start and both have a stable and repeatable  idle speed and at running temperature. Both also have new needle and seats in the carbs and set correctly. I’m not saying they necessarily leak but I do think the extra pressure causes a higher fuel level at idle simply due to float buoyancy and very little fuel being used. In the end what good is more pressure than you need? As long as you get enough flow you don’t need the pressure.

Cheers

Larry Varley