[Healeys] Fuel pumps (AGAIN!)

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Nov 29 08:45:40 MST 2018

Once again, I am only relating my personal experiences with SU fuel
pumps.  Some have experienced similar problems to mine, some have gone
many years and many miles with no issues.  Look at the reviews for any
common item on Amazon; there are often many who had good results with
the item, and usually some who did not.  I'd like to find a common
thread, but doubt that will happen.  I suspect those who drive their
cars often--my mileage is mostly on one or two long road trips every
year, and the cars may sit for a couple months at a time--will have
better luck with points as, properly adjusted, the points mechanism is
designed to 'wipe' the points with each activation.  Am told points
pumps that have sat on the shelf for a long time before installation
should have the points cleaned, as the (presumably) tungsten on the
points will oxidize.

I got some points from a 'usual suspect' that came in a plain white
box.  These points had a very shiny, silvery appearance--as opposed to
tungsten which is a dull metallic color--and burned in just a few
hundred miles.  Dave DuBois noted similar problems with some aftermarket
points.  Presumably, genuine SU points are much better, but may not have
been available at the time, or the vendor is cutting corners.  In
theory, the 'solid state' pumps, triggered either by opto-electronic or
Hall Effect switches, should go forever, perhaps needing an occasional
diaphragm tension adjustment but, again, that hasn't been my experience.

WRT the vents, I agree.  I have had a tube on the vent on the pump body
going to a safe, (usually) dry location (the boot) for years.  Some
pumps have a rear vent (on the plastic electronics cap)  that is
suitable for fitting a vent tube, some do not:

https://www.sufuelpump.com/collections/pumps/products/copy-of-azx-1308ep-1

Note the cap on the rear vent; it's been a couple years but last time I
pulled the cap off the check valve ball came out--I wasn't expecting
it--and I lost it.  I don't think you can fit a tube to these, but I'm
not sure.  Others have a metal extension that appears to be designed to
have a tube fitted.

I do appreciate all comments but saying, in effect "they don't do that"
isn't adding any data points.  I don't claim to be an expert  mechanic,
but I have maintained several cars for many years and did do a
nuts-and-bolts, frame off restoration of a 100M, so I know which end of
a wrench to grab.   Installing an SU fuel pump involves tightening nuts
on a couple studs--I pre-fit them to my spares to facilitate a quick
change-out--a couple banjos--which will let you know immediately if they
aren't properly fitted and sealed--and one electrical lead.  I've had
lots of experience, and successes, with that operation.

Bob