[Healeys] Tapping SUs for air filters.

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Thu Nov 22 07:15:10 MST 2018

I'll be removing my carbs soon in order to achieve clearance for raising
(the front of) the engine. (Harmonic balancer installation).

So, it struck me that I may give my 3 HD6s another go. Swap them with the
current setup.

Thinking it through and looking at the big box of bits, I recalled what a
pain it is to get the nuts and two washers onto the bolts that hold on the
air filters. I have French manufactured K&N lookalikes. The bolt starts
inside the filter, goes through the carb and gets two washers and a nut.
Very awkward to deal with those nuts and washers. PITA.

I thought that I might put in helicoils then I thought "Why not tap the
holes?"

The holes on my HD6s are 11/32" or 8.8mm.

I am no engineer but it seems to me, from looking at tables on Google, that
I could use a 25/64" drill bit and tap them out to 7/16". I have both the
drill and the tap but would like some expertise applied to the issue before
I start drilling.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon