[Healeys] Effects of Ethanol

jpaynepbr at cox.net jpaynepbr at cox.net
Wed May 30 11:25:40 MDT 2018

I make and have made a weekly trip from Las Vegas, NV to Kingman AZ for 5 years and running in a variety of vehicles (2 different Ford Expeditions, Chevy SS, Toyota Tacoma pickup, Triumph TR6, Dodge Magnum Wagon) racking up somewhere over 150k miles on this trip alone.

NV uses CA's ethanol fuel at 10 to 15 percent.  AZ does not have any ethanol.

I fill up here for the trip out, and I fill up there for the trip home.  I see a difference of between 10 and almost 20 percent in fuel economy, without fail, it is not a negligible difference.

In addition to being less efficient, the Ethanol fuel is more expensive.

What a boondoggle.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting Services, LLC
702.882.6711